i feel like...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

i dont care what you've got

I love Over the Rhine. I didn't 2 days ago. I hadn't listened to them until two days ago. My dear friends Dan and Julie love them and I made them come down and go to the concert with me. When you see someone in concert they are just awesome. And when you see it with people who already love it, it makes you love it. I listened to a few songs this week, so I sort of knew what to expect, and I think I've discovered some of the greatest lyrics of all time.

Saturday night was one of the most spiritual experiences I've had in a long time. It was amazing to talk about old memories and just be with some great people. I just got reminded of a lot of God moments and cool stuff that I forget too easily. And then to be able to listen to this beautiful voice sing about life and love and jesus was amazing.

This song is just resonating with me right now and Im not sure why. I feel like God's doing some stuff and Im interested to see where this goes.

Born
OTR

I was born to laugh
I learned to laugh through my tears
I was born to love
I'm gonna learn to love without fear

Pour me a glass of wine
Talk deep into the night
Who knows what we'll find

Intuition, deja vu
The Holy Ghost haunting you
Whatever you got
I don't mind

Put your elbows on the table
I'll listen long as I am able
There's nowhere I'd rather be

Secret fears, the supernatural
Thank God for this new laughter
Thank God the joke's on me

We've seen the landfill rainbow
We've seen the junkyard of love
Baby it's no place for you and me

I was born to laugh
I learned to laugh through my tears
I was born to love
I'm gonna learn to love without fear


My favorite part is the whatever you got, I don't mind. I dont want to mind whatever you've got. Who cares about your junk? Why do I immediately shut down because some part of a person annoys me?

I want to love without fear. What is there to be afraid of? Disappointment? Hurt? Embarrasment? What is it that blocks me from loving people the way we were created to love? I always see the junk. I always focus on the junk. I dont want to.

My prayer for my life is to love fearlessly...without any conditions, ulterior motivation, without letting the junk affect my image of people in my life.

Because seriously we've all got junk...even me

ps. peggy...sorry for all the questions :)

5 Comments:

  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger sheplaysamartin said…

    that's one of my absolute favorite otr songs. haunting, challenging and beautiful... i love the line 'i'm gonna learn to love without fear.' not there yet, but i'm on my way. it's a process...

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger Amanda Carmen Bower said…

    "Born" one of my favorite songs too :) It really speaks to the part of us that senses things aren't quite they way they ought to be - thank goodness God doesn't leave us stuck in our mess forever.

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Dan Z said…

    I knew you would like.

    Thanks again for the show. Julie and I had an absolute blast. We are realy excited about hanging out with you and Steph over your break. I hope we can make it happen.

    Did you get Good Dog Bad Dog yet?

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm its interesting to me the idea of loving people in their "junk". I mean I have junk too, everyone does like you said, but we really only choose to love a few people. I guess the goal is to become more like Jesus, loving everyone and meeting them where they are in their own process. What I want to know though is; how do we decide who we are going to care about regardless of their junk and love them anyways? How do we pick who we are going to commit to without limitations?

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger sarah cool said…

    ahhhhhhhhhh........ I LOVE OTR. My favorite band in the entire world.

    Their new Christmas CD is amazing - absolutely one of their best. (I say this about every new album, but really - buy it, incredible)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home