i feel like...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

community

Here is another one of my dilemmas. I think we were created to live in community. To live with other believers - to know them, to be known by them - learn to grow with them. But I think that we are also supposed to be ok with Jesus on our own. I think?
When I look back on my life, my sweetest moments with Jesus were my sweetest moments with people. Late night talks in the "nook" with my HOM roomies, bible study with Annie, conversations in the car on the way to Cinci with Kristen, arguing with Stef about my issues, thinking that Jill is going to kill me so that we can go to heaven, praying before the semester of club with my teammates, laughing with Katy about weird faces we make, living in a house with 13 other people at Saranac - all of these times were some of the times that I have felt closest to Jesus.
I moved to Altoona for a couple of reasons. One of them was that I wanted to learn how to be in a relationship with Jesus on my own. Without my discipler from high school, without my roomates, without living in a heaven like place. I moved here not knowing anyone - and it was really exciting, but scary as crap too. These three years living here have been so sweet between me and Jesus, but I haven't had as many "community moments." I have had some great conversations with some of the girls, with Tiff, with Tim - with a lot of people, for sure. But my relationship with Jesus has been more contingent on just me and him and not as dependent on everyone else around me.
So, I think both are good. I think that we need alone time with God and I don't think we were created to make it on our own. I guess both ends are dangerous - all people and no God isn't good and all God and know people isn't that great either. But what about the monks? They are all God all the time - on their own, no speaking, just them and God. What's better? Maybe thats why Jesus summed up the greatest commandment in two parts - love God, love people. Both are important?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home