i feel like...

Monday, March 27, 2006

transfig


I am obsessed with Young Life camp. I don't know if I ever could or will get sick of it. Each week we are at camp is my favorite week of the year. I just love it. We are trying to figure out how many spots we need for this summer's trip. This is such a hard process at times because what high school kid knows what they are doing next week, let alone in 4 months? So it's tough, but we have to have a good estimate, because this week we need to put our money where our mouth is and put a deposit down on our spots. In the midst of this, I really want our campaigner kids to see what a great oppurtunity this week at camp could be for their friends. Some of our campaigner kids met Christ at camp, so they know how awesome it can be - I just want them to think like that for their friends and not think about the fact that they have to shell out $550 bucks - that's a whole other topic!
I decided that for campaigners tomorrow morning we are going to look at the passage where it shows the transfiguration of Jesus to get them pumped up. During my weeks at camp I think that I have had experiences almost as cool as this. Jesus is just revealed so clearly! I just LOVE this chapter in scripture. It's so amazing - some of Jesus' closest guys got to see him for who he truly was - God! How awesome would that have been to be there???

Ken Gire describes the event like this:"The bewildered disciples spring to their feet. Is this a dream? A vision? A hallucination brought on by the altitude and fatigue? They wonder these things as they shield their faces. Until the light grows more intense and hurts their eyes. They not only see the light, they feel it. They then know. It is no dream. It is no vision. It is no hallucination.
Until now, the tent of Jesus’ humanity has largely concealed his identity. But now the flap on that tent is lifted, and these privileged three are given a glimpse of his glory.
In the light of that glory all things around them have paled. The rocks and boulders, once bold and jutting, are now washed out of both color and character. The tufts of grass sprigging out from the rocks have lost their green. The dirt has surrendered its brown. There is no depth or dimension to anything around them. Everything has blanched and paled."

I love how Ken (and scripture) says that in light of Jesus' glory ALL things around them have paled. NOTHING is as awesome as Jesus' glory. I am challenged that Jesus can reveal his glory in other places besides at Young Life camp. I think he can do it everyday. I think that he lets us be a part in that. I love that we get to experience that - even just a mini glimpse of his glory.
How can we always be revealing Jesus' glory in our lives so that the things of this world pale around it? I want to be a part of that.



HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SEAN AND ANNIE!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks j, i have the best husband!
    ps this is my first blog comment

     

Post a Comment

<< Home