i feel like...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

good stuff

ok I was getting stuff done on my car this morning (surprise, surprise) and decided to catch up on my magazine reading. i read what i'm about to post and it kicked my butt times 100. So yes, I am totally stealing this - but it is really good stuff...

"I need to talk about contemporary Christianity. There's something that concerns me. We've seen so much abuse of the term "Christian" lately that many of us are now hesistant to be associated with it. We may serve God and be followers of Jesus, but we don't want to be associated with the bigoted right-wing extremists who are known only for their judgmental statements and boycotts.
We believe Christians should be known by their love. (I think John 13:35 says something along those lines.)
We cringe every time we see Pat Robertson on the news. So, we do everything we can to not be identified as one of those Christians. We try to get outside of the Christian bubble, love others, be open minded and live in freedom. So we drink-but in moderation, of course. We cuss, but just for humor or effect. We watch movies that our pastor wouldn't, but it's because we're a lot more in touch that he is. We criticize TBN, cheesy Christian music and everything else about the Christian subculture. We hang out at bars and clubs, originally to be "light in the darkness," but now really just for a good time.
And here we are, without even realizing it, living exactly like the world. Please hear me, I am not advocating closed-minded, hate-filled Christianity, and I do believe we have freedom in Christ. Moderation is a God-given right. But truly following Jesus is not found in either extreme. After all, Romans 12:2 does say, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world."
So where does this leave us? It's not an issue that can be resolved in this column's 600 words, but it's one that all of us must personally and deliberately answer, because without clarity on how we need to live our lives and impact the world around us, at best we will be inconsequential and at worst, harmful to those around us....
We need to not only embrace grace and freedom, but remember that we're called apart, that what we have in our spirits separates us from the world. We are supposed to be in the world, but not of it. We have a hope and a freedom and a faith that the world is looking for, and they need to see that difference in us. Otherwise, what's the point?"
-RELEVANT magazine

2 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Good thoughts...and good questions to think about and discuss.

    I once read an article (but I can't remember where) by a very wise Christian (but I can't remember who) who talked about how silly the idea of "being in the world, but not of the world" was. But I can't remember why.

    How's that for a comment. :)

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger jmjana said…

    I am very intrigued...I hope that you remember someday soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home