i feel like...

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

dilemmas

I have ALWAYS prided myself on how laid back I am. It has at some points in my life defined me and the past few years it's been actually kind of hard for me to break that streak of acting like nothing bothers me or I don't care. But this past little bit of my life I think I have reverted in the opposite direction. EVERYTHING causes me some sort of anxiety and I have been more high strung than I ever have and I think ever will be. It is so weird and SO annoying. I hate being high strung, I hate being around people who are high strung hence my striving to be very laid back my whole life. I think my true self (high strung self) has been shining through recently - I can't fake it anymore. I'm not as laid back as I have always claimed...
I started thinking about this this morning because everything is a dilemma to me. My good friend Donnie owns a coffee shop in town. It's SO great. Comfy couches, wireless internet, good location, good food, good coffee. It's fun to go in there and chill out, talk to him if I want, or talk to God, talk to myself whatever. Coffee shops have often been at times my sanctuary - I have seen God so clearly with a vanilla latte more times than I can count! But here's the dilemma. We are getting a starbucks in Altoona (literally less than .5 miles from my house)!!!!!! Starbucks might be in my top five favorite things in life. So normally I would be doing cartwheels and trust me, I am SOOOOOOO excited about the 'bucks vanilla lattes, BUT I feel so bad going to the "competition." I KNOW this is ridiculous. But I was seriously I little bit stressed out about it this morning. I think this is my people pleasing mentality shining through as well.
So during the car ride from campaigners this morning to the office I thought about how stupid this dilemma was. This is seriously ridiculous. There are MUCH greater things in life to be worried about and to spend my time thinking about. I think I spend my time thinking about dumb stuff like vanilla lattes so I don't have to worry about the big stuff - defense mechanism maybe? Who knows. I think I need some more coffee - it's early.
Sean, you are not allowed to comment on the ridiculousness of a $4 cup of coffee - I am hearing you loud and clear 300 miles away :)

3 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Daniel Kalbach said…

    Jana-

    Fill me in on the Starbucks craze. Is it the ambience? Is the coffee that much better? Is it that they play sleepy piano music during all hours? I just don't get why it's SO good. Help me out.

    In the meantime, go to your boy Donnie's place.

    His name is DONNIE.

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    dan k.
    i think it is the whipped cream
    and i am not kidding...it's that good
    when you coming down to toona town???

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Daniel Kalbach said…

    JM and I are on a break, so I don't know why I would actually go to Altoona. Especially since super Sheetz no longer uses chicken fingers on their chicken parmesan sub.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home