i feel like...

Monday, February 27, 2006

stories

I get to teach 8th grade today. Good times. I told this little guy he could come in the classroom a few minutes early from lunch. I asked how his lunch was and he proceded to take that as an invitation to tell me everything about his life. I found out where he buried his dead birds - fincehes to be exact, but isn't sure where the mama bird is buried. I found out that he has a white bird that blends in with his vanilla colored curtain. I found out that he used to live in Kentucky and there was a band teacher that lived across the street from him who wanted him to play in the high school band as a solo, even though he was only in junior high. I got to see the northern lights on the internet cause he found them for me. I got to hear all about his insulin shots because he is diabetic.
I realized today from austin, that all people want to do is tell their stories. It could be the dumbest story you have ever heard, and when they just keep on talking and talking and talking they don't get the hint and continue to tell you their dumb stories. But truth be told, I think that all people want is to have someone know them.
I stink at listening. The other day I was driving someone in my car for about 20 minutes. I honestly don't remember what we talked about. My mind was totally somewhere else and I think I told her "that's awesome" about 28 times. She might have been telling me that her gerbil died yesterday, but she thinks that according to me, that's pretty awesome.
I hope that I actually seek out people's stories. That I always invite people to share and that I actually listen so that I can love them even just a little bit better and maybe even learn from them.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Marsha said…

    I can relate to this a lot. As a psychologist, I listen to people a lot. Strangely, the longer I have been doing it, the worse I seem to get at it. I mean, I can pull it off with less effort, and so I don't REALLY listen to what people may be saying or even, somewhere in there, asking of me. And what is worse is that the more I do this at work, the more drained I am to even attempt it in my personal life and ministry. This has been occurring to me a lot lately, and something has to change. It's all just getting so selfish. Yuck!

    Anyway, thanks for yet another gentle reminder. I have no doubt you really touched that boy's life by listening today as you did, and it sounds like he touched yours as well. Imagine that!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You don't remember me telling you about my poor gerbil Gertrude!?!? I poured out my guts to you...and you just said that it was awesome....how dare you!
    Oh the humanity!

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    jilly,
    actually you were one of the examples i was thinking about. cause remember that one time we were walking out of minnich and you were telling me something about chad (not good stuff) and i was like, oh that's awesome. and you were like, no it's not. That was the start of it all. dare you to try and be funny too :) not so strange, thanks for your thoughts! i'm glad i'm not alone out there!!!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger stef shaffer said…

    k i have to admit i am a little jealous of all the comments you already have on your blog. i think its because you comment (and not anonymously like me- i dont want to hear it sean) and then people go and actually read your blog. me on the other hand, i didnt even tell people i had one until like a month into it. anyways, thats all... i am glad you are blogging now and i wont try to "one up" you here;)

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, someone else thinks they are really funny being me! Hmmmmmm. Who could that be?

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Jana, way ot bring up that convo about Chad...I totally forgot!

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    sean how the heck did i miss that that was you!?! especially with the oh the humanity comment! you're such a punk

     

Post a Comment

<< Home