i feel like...

Thursday, March 16, 2006

baseball and dancing

Yesterday at softball practice we were practicing batting. Some of the girls on our team are REALLY good and some of them haven't ever really played before. So during batting practice, I was trying to teach some of the girls what they needed to do. It was interesting to watch some of them because you could tell they were really thinking about what they needed to do. But they still couldn't really hit. I think part of it was because they were thinking SO much about it. There thoughts were consumed with well I need to put this foot here, do this with my hands, swing the bat this way, follow through, etc. Because they were thinking of all the mechanics, they missed really hitting the ball. Then I would watch some other girls who just got up there and swang. It was something that was in them. They just could do it - it looked and felt natural. I think part of that has to do with experience, etc., but they were just hitting, it was actually really cool to watch. You could tell that they loved the sport and they were having fun. Whenever you watch a professional baseball player, I'm sure their thoughts are not consumed with the "mechanics" of hitting. When you watch people dance, like really dance, they aren't thinking about what's happening, they are just moving their body to the music. It's so great to watch. It's usually quite beautiful.
I think that we can learn a lot about our relationship with Christ through watching batting practice and watching people dance. I don't think God wants us to be consumed with the questions and thoughts we bog ourselves down with. This relationship isn't about what we should and shouldn't be doing, I don't' think. It's not always about doing. It's about dancing with Jesus. This might be a weird pic for guys, but I have always loved this picture. It's about living in harmony with him and experiencing the joy that comes from just being with him. Just being natural, not trying to be something that we're not - not always thinking about the "mechanics." I think the mechanics come into play for sure - because without them you won't hit the ball - but there's something to be said about stepping up to the plate and swinging and loving it while you do it. I think God really wants us to enjoy being with him.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    SWANG
    Pronunciation: 'swa[ng]
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): swung /'sw&[ng]/; swing·ing /'swi[ng]-i[ng]/
    Etymology: Middle English - this is a made up word that was originated in a blog written by a soon to be ex-Young Life staff member in Central Pennsylvania

    Softball
    Pronounced: Soft-Bal
    Function: to give the girls a sport that's like baseball - but easier. Also a popular sport for ladies who are interested in meeting other friends with the same "interests"

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    Having left my sarcastic comment - I'll move on.
    I really liked what you had to say in the last paragraph. I think you nailed it. I just wonder what it takes to get in the groove...to "find your swing" as they say in Bagger Vance.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger jmjana said…

    sean, seriously? did you talk about my POSSIBILITY of being an ex staffer on my blog? and did you seriously talk about softball like that?
    thanks for the positive comment though - you made up for it. what do you think it takes to "find your swing?"

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Daniel Kalbach said…

    Good stuff Jana.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I think you gotta go to the maker of Jana and ask Him. Two great questions:
    Who am I?
    What's my role?
    A friend of mine recently encouraged me to batter the big fella with those two.
    What have you created me for? (that's a third one free of charge)

    what up Dan? I wrote a blog today with you in mind...that's just how I roll.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Baseball is sweet.

    So is Sean Michael Murphy.

    So was this post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home