i feel like...

Saturday, March 18, 2006

christianese

I took some of the Toona girls to my parents house in OH-IO this weekend and it was SO fun. They got to meet my parents and bro, see Hudson - and why its the best, and I got to share with them my life prior to meeting them. It was so great. I love those girls so much.
Last night we went to a concert in Cleveland - Casting Crowns with Nichole Nordeman. It was a really great concert. Some of the lyrics to the Casting Crowns songs were really great and multiple times throughout the night I was like, man these guys really get it. They really get how to love people and they sing about how the church needs to be loving people better and deeper.

Then it happened.

After intermission this guy stood up and did a gospel presentation for about 20-30 minutes. He was extremely clear in the process of salvation and at the end of it a lot of people "signed the consent form for a new heart" and stood up to show for it, BUT it was SO hard for me to stomach the whole thing. The guy had a bracelet on that looked like a medical bracelet, which he was using to describe Christ and he was like, look, now non Christians will ask me if I'm ok, because of this bracelet, and I will tell them how I was just in for a heart transplant. The bracelet has the acronym L.I.F.T. on it. When people ask about the bracelet, you can go through the acronym with them. L means you had a Life changing event - you realized something was missing. Then you found out you had a terminal Infection in your heart. Then a Famous person came and gave you their heart so you could have a Transplant for a new heart. So by "signing the release form" in theory to have this crazy operation, you were committing your life to Christ. Then they had people raise their hand if they wanted to do that, and then stand up and they had them sign up to get a free devotional in the mail so that they could help you with follow up.

Now, more than once the guys talked about getting involved in your local church, they were VERY supportive of local churches being involved in the people's lives who were at the concert. So I definitely give them props for that, but seriously during the whole presentation thing I was sick to my stomach. I will admit that I have more times than one explained the gospel in a manner similar to the LIFT acronym. But lately I just hate the thought of explaining Jesus like that. He is SO much more than that and there is so much more to us than agreeing to sign a release paper. I give props for these guys for being so bold. I give props for these guys for trying to reach the masses and using oppurtunities like last night's concert for doing that. But I have come to the realization that I hate ministry like that. Jesus was relational. He talked to people individually. He knew their hearts. He went to where they were. He was on their turf. He wanted to know about them. I just think we put him into such a box and make a relationship with him look so cheesy when we present him in a way like was presented last night.
I really struggled with writing about this on the blog. I struggle with writing a lot of stuff because of my motives, but I just couldn't stop thinking about it. There was a time when I was all about living in a Christian subculture - Living with my safe Christian friends, in my comfortable Christian house and listening to my nice Christian music and saying and doing all the "right" things. But last night I was really struggling. I LOVED that I was with those girls and Im so glad that we got to go to that concert, but I kept thinking about all the hurt people that were out last night celebrating St. Patrick's day and I felt a little weird. I found myself wanting to be out there with them. I want my life to be messy. I don't want to be safe. I want to go into the battle without my little LIFT bracelet and really love people - love them because Jesus loves me like that. I want to be there in the midst of their pain and struggles, and joys and tears and love them.
I feel SO judgmental right now - I'm sure the people that spoke last night had great intentions and I am sure that some people actually began relationships with Christ last night that will last for the rest of their lives - praise God for that. I just feel like God's bigger than our formulas and our simple explanations about how to enter into a relationship with him. Life with Jesus is easy, but it's not. It's great but it can be really hard. I just don't feel like LIFT bracelets are the answers to everyone's problems - I think loving them the way Christ does may be a start though...

7 Comments:

  • At 12:50 AM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Jana,

    It's a good struggle to have. I would have had the same feelings. Not because those people were "wrong" or "bad," but because I have heard the statistics of events like that. Most people don't stick. But God can use anything, so who knows. What I do know is that isn't the type of ministry I've been called into, but more power to them (as long as they aren't weird or creepy about it...L.I.F.T. is pretty lame).

    On St. Patrick's Day, we passed out bottled water and chips between 12-2am to drunk people coming out of bars. We had some AMAZING conversations. So all you need to do is move to Cincy and your problem will be solved. :)

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I wonder - Paul mentioned that "as long as Christ is preached..." we shouldn't get too wrapped up in beating down what they're doing.

    I don't think that's an excuse for me to do what I would consider stupid or irrelevant - but it's a pretty good focus and a reminder that my way isn't necessarily superior - even if what they're doing isn't as smart, cool, or relational.

    I've done the bottled water...and wonder what the statistics of events like that are (sorry Steve - I just think my way is superior because my way is smarter, cooler and authenticer - it's a word)

    ultimately, we're just dumb little kids making bad finger paintings and God is our Father - just excited about his kids trying something for our daddy and our friends...

    don't think that means I'm making LIFT bracelets - I don't have room for one next to my trendy livestrong, one, wwjd?, and pink breast cancer ones...

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger jmjana said…

    thanks sean. i appreciate your kick in the butt every once in a while.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger jmjana said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger jmjana said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    I agree Sean. I hope you didn't hear me saying those guys were "wrong," just wondering how effective they are. We should all be asking ourselves that question. And where do you draw the line? There are cult groups that preach Christ...how do we respond to them? I say we hunt them down and kill them, but that's just my humble opinion.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I'm with my card carrying member of the NRA friend Steve on that last point...
    "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out"
    -Steve Fuller

    I think that's his quote...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home