i feel like...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

authenticity

I have a question. Can you really know someone based on the internet?

I'm not talking about freakoid weird people who pretend to be 15 when they are 53 but I'm talking about everyday people who just write on the internet and read other people's stuff.

I was thinking about this and talking about it with my friend Stef yesterday. Here's my dilemma. When I read someone's blog, I read it with a certain bias. Like, when I read Sean's blog I can hear him talking and I understand what he is talking about (usually) because we have had previous conversations and experiences. When I read Sean's friend's blogs, I think oh they must be pretty great if they are friends with Sean. Is that weird that I think that? When I read Stef's friend's blogs from people at Mars Hill Grad School, I think, oh they are really spiritual and really understand the human psyche, so this should be interesting. I always wonder what people think about when they read mine or read my comments I leave. I sometimes feel weird because sarcasm/joking and tone can not be heard over the internet. People always joke that when they read my emails they can hear me talking because I write like I talk. But, what about someone who never has heard me talk before? Then do they think I'm just a big jerk because I was joking about something and they didn't get the joke?

I think I may in the top five of most judgmental people on the planet - which I hate to admit and I hate that I am like that! I think I have said this before that when I meet someone I like to analyze and figure out their issues, what they are like, etc.. I do that on blogs too. I'm SO interested in whether or not I'm right or not. I'm usually pretty good in person, but on a blog - that's a whole other animal!

So what's up? Can we really be us on here? Can I really know you? I'm always about knowing people. Like really knowing them - I get down to the nitty gritty (what is that expression) pretty quick in relationships - I think it's my whole need to know/need to be involved/need to feel significant issue. So I get a bit obsessive about knowing people. So sorry if that annoys the crap out of all of you :)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home