i feel like...

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

experience

Sometimes I really get ticked off at Christians.

It takes SO much for me to get mad at someone and its just so easy for me to get mad at Christians. And lately I just get so mad at myself for getting so mad at them.

If I see someone wearing an annoying tshirt that says something like, I am saved by a blood transfusion, or I see a Jesus fish eating a Darwin fish on a car, or I hear how someone led someone else to Christ I just go crazy. But what's my problem??

Why do I go SO crazy with that. Why can't I love them with the same compassion that I have for people who dont love Jesus. Why is it easy for me to love someone who's a jerk to me at the store versus someone sitting across a room from me? And the only reason its hard for me to love them is because I totally disagree with everything they are saying.

Since when did my way become right?

Since when did I know all that there is to know in the world about Jesus and life and love?

Last time I checked I had a loooooooooong way to go.

Tonight I was thinking about how experience shapes SO much of the way we live and even the way we love. SO much. For instance, my Christian friends that I get so annoyed with, have had some positive experiences with cheesy tshirts and randomly walking up to someone, giving them a flower and asking them if they need prayer. and that's ok. I have not had any experience like that, but that doesn't mean that its wrong. at all. I just have had different experiences.

The way that I am wired and through my experiences in life, I see more value in authentic relationship with people than in "big butter" jesus' and just serving someone one time. I think there is value in both...my experience has just made one more valuable than the other. But why is mine right? and why is it so hard for me to not judge and to actually love someone when they say things that annoy the crap out of me and are againsy what I think is right? I just dont know where the balance is between wisdom and accountability and then allowing differences in ways to do ministry. Where's the line? Who's experiences are more valuable?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger stef shaffer said…

    mmmm... what was on the back of your car in high school again? for some reason all through this post, it seems like the person your most annoyed with is yourself... whats up with that

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    no kidding!! im calling you now

    and yes i did have that on the back of my car and yes i did wear a wwjd bracelet. and yes i hate that i am admitting that even though i was 17 and had no clue about anything. that was back in the day when i told you, stef, that if i did a study on Paul, Revelation and the women of the bible I would pretty much know everything about God. I mean, really? im sort of sick admitting that

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger Peggy Murphy said…

    Count the number of questions in this blog.
    Why do you do that?
    Why can't you ask ONE question at a time?

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    I've realized the most important thing I can do to grow in my relationship with God is to stop worrying so much about other people. (Not in a selfish way, but in an, "I can't control other people" way.)

    Not sure if this relates to your post at all, but I just really like talking about myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home