i feel like...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

toys r us theme song

I kind of hate being an adult. It definitely has its perks...
No one is telling you what to wear, what to eat, what time to come home, what not to do.
But there also isn't someone there to bail you out, tell you what to do, and to take care of you when you are sick. I hate feeling like I am going to throw up about money. I hate feeling like I have to make my own decisions about life altering things.

Life just seemed so easy when you were a kid. You could play outside until sun down, ride your bike all over creation, be best friends with people in your neighborhood, eat macaroni and cheese and hotdogs for every meal. Your biggest concern of life was what to wear on the first day of school - and that didn't even start until like 4th grade.

I am moving in 3 days. Its very exciting, but also very nervewracking and FREAKING expensive. I forgot about moving van costs, security deposits, new furniture, the fact that I now have to pay for my own cell phone and wireless card for my computer. All this crap adds up and makes me feel like Im 15 and not quite sure what I got myself into.

I hate budgets, but you have to be on one in order to function. I hate caring about money, but you have to because eventually the supply from your parents runs dry and they aren't able to make any more grow out of the money tree. Thank God that I have the most amazing family in the world and they still have my back even though I am an "adult" and 25 years old. I really don't know what I'd do without them.

I also feel like I am a bit schizo because I lay my heart out on my sleeve with every person I meet in every interaction that I have. Its been ok for the last 25 years of my life, but there's something about being an adult that you can't gush your heart and soul to every person that you meet on the street. My boss for the last three years has moonlighted as my therapist as well, and I am sad that that won't be the same in my new job. Even though my principal is amazing and I already told him I think I might be a mental case (seriously?) I know there is something "adult" about not sharing EVERYTHING that goes through my head with my employer. I need to remember that and be more "adult" at my school. Which is fine, but kind of stinks. I just have really enjoyed that part of me and I feel like I need to "grow out of it."

Life's crazy. We go through stages and continue to grow up. We have to deal with new things that are fun and exciting, but things that can also be heart wrenching and sad.

Im just kind of wondering when I grew up and how to make it stop...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who are those kids? They're adorable!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Laura K. said…

    I so agree with you! :) thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel like i'm at a similar place right now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home