i feel like...

Monday, June 05, 2006

the break up

I went to see The Break Up this weekend - was really funny in some parts, but really stupid in some parts. I hated the ending, but Im a need to know for sure that its a happily ever after ending. Sorry if that just ruined it for some of you...
There was this one scene that I about peed my pants about. Jennifer Aniston was ticked off at Vince Vaughn because he didn't help her do anything for this dinner party they had for both sets of parents. He didn't pick up the stuff she wanted, he didn't help cook or clean anything, and after the dinner he wasn't helping her clean stuff up - he just wanted to relax and watch sports highlights and play video games. She was ticked. If you have ever been in a relationship I know you have had to have had a conversation like the one they had. Jennifer was like, "I want you to want to do the dishes with me." and Vince's response was "Why the heck would I want to do the dishes?" I think if I was Jennifer I would have had to start laughing at that come back because seriously, who would want to do the dishes. But she was really ticked and they had a huge fight. She failed to see the humor in the comment and he failed to see the bigger picture. It was funny to watch all the couples nudge each other and whisper about their own fights like that. It's a classic fight for sure.
So parts like that in the movie were really funny - but the premise of the movie was that Vince's character was just really selfish and that's why the relationship wasn't working. He was ridiculously selfish. I will vouch and say that Jennifer's character was a little neurotic, but still. I found myself relating with some of the same qualities of Vince's character. I hated that, but I am selfish to the core! I feel like being single leads you on a selfish road. It allows you to be selfish. It doesn't have to - and I'm not saying that all single people are selfish, but I am for sure. Single people don't have any other people responsibilities, no one we have to talk to, no one that we have to spend time with, no one to tell where we are going this weekend - so we become selfish. We do what we want to do, when we want to do it, and dont worry about anything else. I hate that. I think I am a selfish person naturally, I kind of was a spoiled brat growing up, so that really plays out even more because I am still single.
I really hate being like this. I feel so gross when I see my selfishness in action and when I see it effecting other peopoe. I think I need some practice. I think I need a dog. You can't be that selfish when you have a dog - you at least have to think of someone other than yourself...

6 Comments:

  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Jana,

    I feel your pain. I've always known I was selfish (we all are, but I knew I was more selfish than average), but that scene at the end with Vince and his buddy REALLY hit the nail on the head for me. He could have been speaking directly to me. I'm not sure what to do about this, but if you figure it out, let me know. :)

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    steve,
    which part...when his buddy was like, i know, i know, i'll take care of the guy, you know nothing...go on say it louder?
    or the part that was like we always do what YOU want to do...when have we ever gone to a white sox game?
    here's what I think the solution is my blog friend...go to a steelers game, start dating someone, or get a dog...which one do you want to pick? :)

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder about the same thing about being single making us selfish.

    Staying single for a little while can do a lot to make us better at marriage, I think, but I also think that it can go a long way to make us selfish. I live by myself, and often wonder if I've forgotten altogether what it's like to have a roommate and if I have spoiled myself (not to be confused with soiling myself - two totally different things, and I would be pretty sure of it if I had done the latter).

    I sometimes think about getting a roommate, just to keep me from being selfish.

    But maybe it would be selfish to make someone live with me just for the purpose of self-improvement?

    I also wonder if maybe I'm starting to like being single a little bit *too* much... it makes it easy to be a fault-finder.

    Too much introspection... must go to bed.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Jana,

    I was just telling a friend last night that I need to get a dog. You know how they say the first step is a plant...then a dog...then a relationship. I've kinda kept this plant alive for a while (it's not "dead," just not "thriving.") So a dog in the Fall, and then maybe a relationship? Baby steps.

    The "we always do what you want to do" part. I'll be blogging about it tomorrow, because I honestly think that scene finally opened my eyes. Who knew Vince Vaughn was so wise.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    good stuff there steve fuller, good stuff

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "we always do what we want to do"

    ...Calvinists have been saying that for 2000 years. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home