i feel like...

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

love

So I got Walk the Line in my easter basket - which I was VERY excited about because I love that movie and I love Reese. My bro got King Kong and since I had never seen the movie, I was REALLY excited to watch it.
I was bummed out though because I didn't love it. I usually love the whole love movie thing, but not this one. I liked a lot of it, but I sort of felt like it was Jurassic Park with a big monkey. It did bring up a few questions I have about love and relationships though. So here they are:

Question #1:
Can you make someone love you? Can you love someone into loving you?
King Kong fell in love with Ann. Ann fell in love with King Kong (which was really weird for me). It got me thinking about if we could make someone love us by loving them and showing that love for them. King Kong saved Ann's life numerous times. He protected her, cared for her and they had some sort of connection. Ann loved him back. I kept trying to imagine being Ann, but I couldn't imagine loving a big monkey. I did love how Jack Driscoll loved Ann though! But anyways, I wonder if Kong loved Ann into loving him. Is it possible?
For example, my friend has this guy who has always been around. He seems to be totally just in love with her. Her family loves him, her daughter loves him, he would do ANYTHING in the world for her - and does, but she's just like, oh he's a great friend. Even though she has a boyfriend now, I always think in the back of my mind that if this guy continually pursues her, she'll break and realize how much in love with him she is.
One of my YL leaders in high school had this guy that was really into her. She was always like, eh, no, it won't work - I'm not really attracted to him - I keep telling him no when he asks me out. But now they are married. He pursued her until she realized, wow, I really do love this guy.
Now, I'm not talking about some weird stalkerish infatuation. I'm talking about if you know someone is truly in love with you, will there come a point that you feel drawn to them too? I've never seen it not happen - I'm not saying it doesn't, I've just never seen it.
I kind of wonder this about God too. I go back and forth about being a Calvinist because there are some parts that I am in agreement with 100% but other parts that are a lot harder for me to stomach. But if we are really exposed to how much God loves us, why would we not love him back? Do we have the option to resist that love? It's this overwhelming, amazing, powerful thing to be loved like that. I think it can also be overwhelming and amazing to be loved by a man or woman like that. But, is it irresistible?

This kind of leads to question #2:
Why are people scared to love and to be loved?
I don't know exactly how I feel about this statement: 'Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
I used to live by this statement. I still think I kind of do, but I'm wondering if subconsciously I don't because of being burnt in the past. Life is about putting your heart out there and loving someone no matter what the outcome might be. We don't know what the outcome is - so why are we so hesitant? I think we miss out on so much good because we don't risk. But that's the point - it's risky. We're afraid of getting hurt, we're afraid of losing that person, we're afraid of our own feelings, we're afraid of the pain that breaks us if stuff doesn't work out. But what if our fears are keeping us from something amazing? What is it does work out?
I do NOT have all the answers. I am saying these things right now, but do I live this out in my life? Not all the time. Not recently. I am just really interested in everyone's thoughts on the subject...

It's scary stuff this love business - but I TRUST it can be greater than we can imagine.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I think you're right...better to have loved and lost. I was just reading about how great it is to mourn (my paraphrase) and as awesome as it would be to be spiritually and emotionally frostbitten - in the end it just leads to death.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Kalla said…

    I don't know what I think... better to have loved and lost... or to never have loved at all?

    I think either way your heart is broken... If you have loved and lost then your heart is broken because you have lost the one thing in the world that you care and love the most. And if you have never loved than you are heart broken because you have never felt that love that you long for each and every day.

    I don't believe that you can make someone love you. From your examples I think that they just finally realized that they loved that person- they could have just been scared to fall in love.

    (I haven't seen King Kong) But do you think that Anne feel in love with King Kong because he did all those things she was longing for- to be protected, cared for, and loved unconditionally (from what I hear)? I think she might have just realized he was everything she was looking for... maybe?

    Those are just my thoughts! :)

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Daniel Kalbach said…

    "If human love does not carry a man beyond himself, it is not love. If love is always discreet, always wise, always sensible and calculating, never carried beyond itself, it is not love at all. It may be affection, it may be warmth of feeling, but it has not the true nature of love in it." - Oswald Chambers

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I loves me some Ozzie Chambers...

    There's something wrong with your blog. Everytime I get on it, I have to reopen your page 4 or 5 times...it only shows half the page. Your blog is the only one that does that.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Kalla said…

    Yeah I have to do the same thing... So its not just you... :)

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Steve Fuller said…

    Me also with the multiple reopenings.

    Oh, and love stinks! Yeah, yeah!

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger jmjana said…

    ok i am depressed! i dont have as many hits as i thought! you guys just rit refresh a hundred times and it makes it look like a lot of people want to hear what i have to say! dang it! so much for finding my self worth in a blog :)

    thanks for the insight my friends!

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger ylmurph said…

    I guess it's time I told you that I've also been getting on Kalla, Steve and Dan's blog log in to post comments from them...
    sorry, I just thought it would help you find your self worth...talk about your all time back fires...

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger stef shaffer said…

    i was reading this blog:
    http://www.mdancause.blogspot.com
    and the "how does one hope" entry made me think a little of this post. there is no way i could even come close to saying it this well...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home