i feel like...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

something spiritual

Ok, because I feel like I might get burned at the stake for my last two posts, I want to put something spiritual oon here in order to save face.
I feel bad posting this after being a bit obnoxious, because it deserves much more positive attention than I am giving it...
I am begging that everyone in my life read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. Lately I have been really into stories of the Holocaust and this one is amazing. Corrie and her family are a Christian family in Holland during the German occupation and they are the leaders of a group of people who set up an underground railroad to smuggle and hide Jews. It's an amazing story of bravery, determination, love and an amazing image of the love of Jesus. The story starts with the background of the family, tells of their secret operation and then describes life in one of the concentration camps after they were caught.

I just want to share a little excerpt of it for you and PLEASE read the book. It will change your life....

"Though Betsie (Corrie's sister) was now spared heavy outdoor labor, she still had to stand the twice-daily roll call. As December temperatures fell, they became true endurance tests and many did not survive. One dark morning when ice was forming a halo around each street lamp, a feeble minded girl two rows ahead of us suddenly soiled herself. A guard rushed at her, swinging her thick leather crop while the girl shrieked in pain and terror. It was always more terrible when one of the innocent ones was beaten. Still the Aufseherin continued to whip her. It was the guard we had nicknamed "The Snake" because of the shiny dress she wore. I could see it now beneath her long wool cape, when the screaming gave and she at last lay still on the cinder street.
"Betsie," I whispered when The Snake was far enough away, "what can we do for these people? Afterwards I mean. Can't we make a home for them and care for them and love them?"
"Corrie, I pray everyday that we will be allowed to do this! To show them that love is the greatest."
And it wasn't until I was gathering twigs later in the morning that I realized that I had been thinking of the feeble-minded, and Betsie of their persecutors."


I didn't mean to pick kind of a grotesque picture, but I just LOVE the different way of thinking this family had. It is such an amazing picture of how love conquers all and God is bigger than any evil that comes near us or even exists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home